Sunday, April 27, 2008

Lars and the Real Girl

I love Ryan Gosling and had planned on watching this movie for a while, but the thought of watching a movie about a guy who thinks his girlfriend is a blowup doll seems kinda creepy. The surprising thing about this movie is that it isn't creepy; Lars' creation of this "girlfriend" from out of town who is in a wheelchair is a manifestation of his own screwed up mind and is mainly just sad and uncomfortably funny at the same time. Even though I don't think this situation could happen in real life, it seems very believable (with the exception of some of the townspeople's reaction to him) This movie left me wondering. One thing that is for sure though, Ryan Gosling is a great actor!

4 comments:

cindyMN said...

You need a rating system. Like 1-5 with 5 being the best!!
I can't really tell if you recommand Lars or not??! LOL

Chica said...

Hi Auntie--
I saw this movie too and agree that it was very moving. I loved the fact that the town folk played along for Lars and supported him in his fantasy.

Chica said...

By the way Mary, I finally got Netflix as well! I just saw Year of the Dog with Molly Shannon---I didn't like it much, but I didn't not like it either. It was just very odd. But it was kind of funny to see Molly in such a weird role like that.

Mary's List said...

I saw Year of the Dog with Carrie (huge dog fan and Molly Shannon fan) and we all felt disappointed. I agree it was just kind of there.