Sunday, May 17, 2009

Twilight

Sometimes curiosity gets the better of me, and I feel like I have to find out why everyone is watching this movie or reading that book despite bad reviews. That's what happened with Twilight, the Stephanie Meyer vampire novel. First, I read it -- even people whose tastes I respect seemed to like this book. I have never been a fantasy reader and certainly never a vampire book lover, so I was pretty sure I wouldn't like the novel, but I wanted to get in on the conversation. I mean I just corrected a set of middle school short stories and there were three different stories with the main character named Bella. Well, long story short. I read the book-- thought it was dumb -- couldn't finish the last few chapters due to extreme annoyance. Then I saw the movie mainly because I really like Kristen Stewart ever since Speak. The movie was just like the book and dumb in the same way. Both show a vapid female lead falling in love with not very charming but overly confident vampire. Both versions of Twilight are beyond ludicrous.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Mary - It's Billie, from Las Cruces, New Mexico. Just checking out your blog again - enjoyed your post where you took your Mom and Dad to see the movie. We miss them here at bridge. Enjoy reading your posts, I'm a see a movie every 3 years person - however with On Demand" and one of my neices, she teaches jr high math, living with me, my numbers are going up. Have a good summer.

Mary's List said...

Hey, thanks for reading. I just spent the weekend with my mom in norther Wisconsin while my dad was at a bridge tournament in the cities.

Unknown said...

Mary - my regular e-mail is edgi@comcast.net if you ever want to write me a note. My husband's daughter is making a cross-country bike trip with a group. A pay to go kind of trip. Over 2 1/2 months long - started inVA and will end in Eugene OR in Aug. You might enjoy her blog; camster-cammmie.blogspot.com. She was 51 in Nov - has a loving husband whe it still busy working - Ha. They love in Orinda CA. My best of your Mom and Dad, they are some of my favorite people. Thanks for the note. Billie

Unknown said...

Only 2 "n"s in Cammie - oops

Elissa J. Hoole said...

well, and Kristen Stewart was dumb in this movie, too. What was with all that weird breathing?

I liked the setting, since I've been to both Forks, WA, and the area of Oregon where it apparently was shot. Made me kinda "home"sick...