Sunday, February 7, 2010

The Hurt Locker and Crazy Heart

It just so happened that I went to two movies in one day (I had already gone to The Hurt Locker and got an invitation to go to Crazy Heart) which forces me to compare these two movies: one intense and stressful, and one slow and drowsy.

The Hurt Locker
Before going to Hurt Locker, I had a knotted muscle in my back and believe me this movie did not help me de-stress. I was tense throughout the movie and my face held a cringe. Even though it is not the type of movie I usually see – it has all the elements I usually like to avoid: war, blood, macho men with guns – I was too intrigued to miss it, especially when it can be found at our new independent theater. In its simplest form Hurt Locker is just three guys who go from one potential deadly threat to another, diffusing the situation or in some cases creating some added drama. Their leader and the man who wears the padded bomb suit, is Will James played by Jeremy Renner, and he is a reckless adrenaline junky but incredibly skilled at what he does. He says nutty threatening things and then says, “Just kidding” in a way that makes him seem crazy – but you can’t keep your eyes off of him --he is interesting on screen except when his team member Sandborn, played by Anthony Mackie, is onscreen – he also gives an amazing presence. Do I recommend this movie? Yes, I think for the performances and the intensity, but no if you don’t want to be freaked out and make your back get even more knotted up.

Crazy Heart
Jeff Bridges in Crazy Heart plays a broken down alcoholic country singer. This movie is a character study and the character, Bad Blake. His performance basically IS the movie and the movie may be worth going to if only to see his performance, I guess. But it is also pretty plotless and too slow-paced. It was like they tried to slap a pretty clich̩ plot structure around a great character and some good songs and performances. Giving him a love interest of the beautiful and way too young Maggie Gyllenhall seemed all wrong. Bad Blake is gross Рwho but a star struck drunk fan would want to kiss him? And the ending definitely falls flat. After hearing an interview on Fresh Air with T. Bone Burnet who produced and wrote some of the music for this movie I had high hopes for this movie, but maybe because my expectations were too high, I was disappointed.

2 comments:

Castor said...

I thought Crazy Heart was fairly entertaining. The biggest beef I had was that Gyllenhaal's character gets involved intimately with Bad Blake unrealistically and for no good reason.

Anonymous said...

hip voyage pendants [url=http://www.blingforfun.com]hip go jewelry[/url],[url=http://www.blingforfun.com/pendants/cat_9.html]hip hop pendants[/url],alert short trip watches,[url=http://blingforfun.com/belts/cat_18.html]bling bling[/url] ,onto skip,[url=http://blingforfun.com/chains/cat_7.html]hip voyage chains[/url],hip caper bling,[url=http://blingforfun.com/chains/cat_7.html]iced visible chains[/url],[url=http://www.blingforfun.com/chains/cat_7.html]wholesale chains[/url]
hip jump jewelry