Sunday, May 2, 2010

Movie Catch Up

I've been absent from my blog for quite a while. Some of that time I was in Ecuador and did in fact watch a lot of movies. A few on the airplane and a few of the unlicensed variety. Here's the recap:

Airplane movies: captive audiences who have nothing better to do than watch one the follow ennhhh movies!
Old Dogs -- This movie was actually shown TWICE on my way down and it is TERRIBLE! If I were Robin Williams or Jon Travolta I would try strike this movie off my resume. Super dumb!
My One and Only -- Renee Zellweger as aging beauty queen with two sons in the 1950s. This movie wasn't terrible but just kind of boring. I liked the sons played by Logan Lerman and Mark Rendell.
Hachiko, A Dog's Story: Richard Gere's character happens upon a cute little puppy from Japan in this heart warming tale about dog love. Right up my alley, not. But actually it wasn't that bad but it was no Marley and Me.

Movies from the streets of Quito, a.k.a pirated
The Blind Side: I can see why this movie is so popular. How can you not like that big guy Michael and root for his success?
Agora: The beautiful Rachel Weisz plays Hypatia, a Roman philosopher, astronomer, and atheist who studies at the ancient library at Alexandria. This movie was really fascinating and spurred a lot of Google searches.
The Lightning Thief: I enjoyed this "Kids" movie. Not having read the books, the teacher in me, liked the modern take on Greek mythology.
Invictus -- I forgot Invictus. The movie about a South African rugby team and Nelson Mandela. Very interesting and I enjoyed learning about what was going on in South Africa at this time. Morgan Freeman's Nelson Mandela is the price of admission. Not a great movie, I don't think but good.

No comments: