Saturday, August 21, 2010

Motorcycle Diaries vs. Eat, Pray, Love

I just rewatched Motorcycle Diaries and then went to Eat, Pray, Love the next day. One can’t help but make comparisons between these two movies, both about a member of the privileged class who goes on a “spiritual” (I’m using that word even though I think it is kinda meaningless) and an actual journey. Motorcycle Diaries is about journey of the young Che Guevara and his good friend from one end of South America to the other, through amazing scenery where the young Che learns to see this landscape through the eyes of the poor and helpless. You actually see his character changing as he becomes impassioned about his quest to unite the underclass of South America. Now, Eat, Pray, Love, on the other hand, is about a woman who left her husband without any real reason that the audience can tell (I didn’t read the book, by the way) and she is so distraught and apparently has enough money to say my only way to make myself whole again is to go to Italy, India, and Bali. Liz, played by the gorgeous how-can-life-be-tough-for-someone-that-beautiful Julia Roberts, mopes throughout the movie and then *poof* is happy again, in part when she crashes into the sexy Javier Bardem. Che was on a they, they, they trip while Liz is on a me, me, me trip. Of course, Eat, Pray, Love may be worth seeing for some beautiful scenery and some good bits by Javier Bardem and Richard Jenkins. And Motorcycle Diaries is definitely worth seeing.

No comments: