Sunday, June 5, 2011

Cyrus

For at least the first ½ hour of Cyrus, I had a frozen grimace on my face. Embarrassing and disgusting things kept happening. Would the big goofy depressed John (John C. Riley) win over the beautiful Molly (Marissa Tomei)? Yes, inexplicably. Would he then be able to win over Molly’s strange man-child son, Cyrus (Johan Hill)? Well, not sure. A lot of things don’t seem to make sense in this movie. Least of all why Jaime (Catherine Keener) continues to support and listen to John’s paranoid ranting even while she is planning for her wedding. I know it sounds like I didn’t like this movie, and sure there were parts I found unlikeable, but it definitely held my interest and had moments of sweetness. Yeah, and that grimace, it reappeared on and off throughout the movie.

No comments: