Friday, December 28, 2007

The Wind that Shakes the Barley

I read great reviews of The Wind that Shakes the Barley, a drama about the struggles in Ireland, directed by Ken Loach. Even though it is essentially a war movie, not usually my cup of tea, I thought I should see it and happily was completely entranced by it -- partially because of the perspective of a small community of regular folk turned terrorists by necessity -- the brutality of the British soldiers is horrifying. The other entrancing reason to watch the film is Cillian Murphy who plays Damien O'Donovon, a doctor about to go of to London when he is pulled into the conflict. This skinny blue-eyed Irishman is worth seeing the movie for, trust me on that.

On a completely lamer note, I saw The Nanny Diaries (I'll see anthing with Laura Linney) which wasn't as bad as I thought it would be with a very cute little boy whose train wreck of New York Upper East side parents are actually kinda funny and sad in how terrible of parents they are. It's a slight film overall, however.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi Mary! I love your blog.Thought I would add some comments on some of the movies I've also seen.

I read the book Nanny Diaries and was super disappointed in the movies. They left out some of the best parts of the book. Also, I didn't picture a person like Scarlett Johassen to play the main part of "Nan" (they changed the name to Annie in the movie) and was very put off by her acting towards this character. I highly recommend the book, it is one of my favorites, and if you liked the movie you'll be blown away by the book.