Sunday, February 8, 2009

Oscar Reflections

I didn't see any presentable movies to write about this weekend. Well, scratch that, I did watch on cable Roman Holiday for the umpteenth time. Such a grand movie if you have never seen it, do so, soon! Gregory Peck is regal and handsome and Audrey Hepburn is lovely and graceful. In fact, it’s hard to take your eyes of either of them. Well worth seeing. (see my list of favorite romantic comedies)

But I have wanted to spout my opinions about the Oscar nominations, mainly to say I am underwhelmed by the lack of greatness in the best picture nominees. The best picture nominations are The Curious Case of Benjamin Button, Slumdog Millionaire, The Reader, Frost/Nixon, and Milk. Maybe I am unenthused and a hypocrite because of the five, I have only seen Slumdog Millionaire, which is very entertaining but has a high cheese factor. Besides Milk, which I want to see, the rest don't interest me too much.

I am also disappointed that Sally Hawkins was not nominated for Happy-Go-Lucky. That seems like a huge oversight. And another favorite movie of mine this year is Vicky Christina Barcelona which only got one nomination and that was in the best supporting actress category for Penelope Cruz who was great, but I also thought at the very least the movie should have gotten a best original screenplay nomination. In Bruges did get a very well deserved nomination for original screen play, but both Colin Farrell and Brendan Gleeson were not nominated for best supporting actor and they were AWESOME!

So, in summary, three of my favorite movies of the year did not get the kind of recognitions they deserve:
Happy-Go-Lucky
In Bruges
Vicky Christina Barcelona

No Fair! :(

No comments: