Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Harvey (1950)

I’m sure I saw Harvey in my youth; the classic movie with Jimmy Stewart who has an imaginary friend called Harvey. But after watching it again, it seemed completely new to me. I didn’t remember it being so good! The script is so funny and complex at the same time, and it makes the presence of this unseen rabbit, well, … present. Jimmy Stewart as Elwood P. Dowd is great and so likable that you want to just sit at the bar with him and Harvey and swap stories. The other real gem of the movie is the actress Josephine Hull who plays Elwood’s aunt, Veta Louise Simmons, who I had not heard of before, but learned that she won an Oscar for role in Harvey. She is HIGHlarious while being sweet and demure at the same time – something to see. Sometimes you see a classic and realize just why it is classic. Harvey fits the bill.
As a side note: Another reason why I wanted to see this movie again (the first was because it was at the library!) was because I heard that a remake was afoot. Stephen Spielberg, of all people, is going to try to recreate this classic. After seeing it, I can’t imagine what would be the point of remaking a near perfect little gem of a movie. But who knows.

No comments: