Tuesday, September 1, 2009

500 Days of Summer

This off beat romantic comedy has great acting, Zoey Deschanel and Joseph Gordon Levitt, and does not follow the usual pattern of the romantic comedy. Right away a stern narrator tells us that this is not a love story. But the movie is all about romantic love and is from the perspective of the ultimate romantic, Tom, who becomes obsessed with Summer, even though she claims that she is not interested in a serious relationship and that she has never been in love. The struggle of the movie is about Tom trying not to reveal his intense longing for Summer. Levitt who plays Tom is great in this movie (remember him from 3rd Rock from the Sun?). He somehow comes off vulnerable, awkward, and sexy at the same time. He even does a song and dance routine that is one highlights of the movie; it’s a choreographed dream-like dance sequence that is joyous and funny. There were some moments in this movie that seemed too cute like the addition of the preteen little sister who advises Tom on his love life, but overall I found 500 Days of Summer to be an enjoyable summer treat!

1 comment:

chica said...

Hey Mary! It's Holly. My new name is "chica" because it's my pseudo name from my blog. btw, have you been reading my blog? You totally should and you should send me some comments. Because then I would feel special.

Anyhoo, I LOVED this movie and had to comment. I agree with you, I thought Joseph G-Levitt did a fantastic job and fell a little bit in love with him in this movie. Zooey always plays kind of the same character in every movie, but she is so quirky and fun and I loved the combination of her and Joseph. I loved this movie so much, I want to see it again!