Thursday, July 26, 2007

Sweetland

I saw Sweetland on DVD, finally. Being a good Minnesotan, I was sorry I did not see it in the theater and coincidentally it is having a special showing at a new theater/ stage right near here. So I think I am going to see it again. I really enjoyed it. It was sweet, as the title suggests, and the two lead characters seemed so true. I especially liked the spunky German Inge and her persistence in making a go of her life in Minnesota. Even in German or Norwegian she was funny and determined. For those of you who are not on the pulse of Minnesota movie info., Sweetland was filmed in Minnesota and is based on a Will Weaver short story in his book A Gravestone Made of Wheat, (that I would like to read now). I think it is rare now-a-days to watch a movie that is romantic and kind with a compelling story plot like Sweetland, and it is not fast-paced and there is no swearing, sex scenes, or bloody incidents. If you haven't seen it, I highly recommend it and I give it an A-. (The - is for occasionally cheesy bits esp. in modern scenes) So how do you like my ratings system? Would you call it academic?

1 comment:

egb said...

I agree Sweetland is a rare gem of a movie. The only part that bothered me was when Inge was wearing Dansko clogs during harvest time.