Thursday, June 12, 2008

Paris, Je T'aime

You may have noticed that I am attracted to movies with certain characteristics. I watch a lot of independent films, movies with certain actors I like (Ryan Gosling or Mark Ruffalo, Juliette Binoche to name a few), and of course, movies about France or movies in French; I'm a bit of a Francophile. I like other than French foreign films usually (when I am up for subtitles), but gravitate the the French ones in particular. So Paris, Je T'aime was right up my alley; it combines France, French, independent film with Juliette Binoche, what else could you ask for? It's a collection of short films shot in Paris and about love. An amazing array of well known directors and actors take part in the project. Directors such as Gus Van Sant, Wes Craven, the Coen brothers and many more and actors such as Steve Buscemi, Rufus Sewell, Maggie Gyllenhaal, Elijah Wood, Gena Rowlands and Natalie Portman. About half of it is in French. Some of the films are truly memorable, some truly strange, and some truly forgettable. As I watched these short films I was amazed at how easily the directors can present a story in sometimes just 5 minutes. So if you want to slog through a unique movie and find some gems, you might enjoy Paris, Je T'aime.

No comments: