Sunday, October 19, 2008

The Visitor and Baby Mama

Ooh! What an odd combo of movies I watched this weekend. I am going to start with The Visitor because I just finished it and it left me feeling sad and wanting to talk to someone about it. The movie potrays a middle-aged economics professor stuck in his joyless life and recovering from the death of his wife. His life changes when he encounters an exuberant Syrian drummer who is crashing in his New York apartment. The movie moves from being a story about drumming to a story about trying to save Tareq, the drummer, from being deported. This movie does not have a sunshiny view of how the good professor saves the immigrants from their doom -- sadly that is not even possible. The reality of life for immigrants in America after 911 is bleak and The Visitor examines this reality. But the movie didn't just bum me out about how are justice system can work, it also left me feeling like playing the drums or at least getting in touch with my inner drum beat!

Baby Mama, with Tina Fey and Amy Poehler, is a lightweight, sit-comesque comedy. It's kinda funny in parts and makes some interesting commentary about our me-centered American culture, but it is pretty forgettable which I say regrettably since I love Tina Fey and think 30 Rock is awesome, but BabyMama isn't as clever as that show or Mean Girls, another Tina Fey movie.

No comments: