Saturday, January 24, 2009

Happy-Go-Lucky

I knew I wanted to see this British movie although I heard so many divergent reviews of it.  Some people find the ultra-positive and chirpy Polly, played by Sally Hawkins, to be really annoying.  I was braced myself to be annoyed by her character and in the end really liked her.  She is so goofy and makes such funny comments, especially to the angry driving instructor that I could not help but be charmed by her.  There is not much in the way of plot in this movie -- it's more of a character study -- but I found there is enough to look at on screen to keep it interesting.  

My friend Julie and I are on the road in Madison, Wisconsin, to attend a Bat Mitzvah and saw Happy-Go-Lucky at the Orpheum Theater on State Theater.  The weird thing was that we were the only two people in this vast, somewhat decrepit theater.  Besides feeling strange about having a private showing, I was romanced by the beauty of this once great movie house and sad that it isn't taken care of any more.  The sound in the movie was bad and the connecting bar noises kept bleeding through making it even harder to hear the slurred British dialogue.  I am glad they are still using this theater as a theater, but hope some generous soul will pour some money into it and restore it.

No comments: